Sweet & Savory Recipes for The Best Casserole Dish EVER
If you’re buying THE BEST CASSEROLE DISH EVER (aka our Le Creuset Rectangular Casserole Dish With Lid) the world is literally your oyster with what you can create.
Say goodbye to those predictable lasagna and taco casserole recipes and say hello to a dinner combination that is far different than anything you’ve ever experienced before!
And since the holidays are upon us our Le Creuset Casserole Dish makes for a perfect gift, too!
Vegan Eggplant Moussaka Recipe:
Change it up a notch and cook with some Greek flavors! Great for dinner and amazing as leftovers, this healthy baked meal will satisfy all tummies and hearts.
MAKES: 8 servings. PREP TIME: 45 mins. COOK TIME: 1 hour.
- For the Moussaka:
- 3 medium eggplants; cut lengthwise at ½ inch thick
- Salt (keep it on hand throughout recipe)
- ¼ cup olive oil (if it’s infused with things like rosemary, basil, or chili all the better)
- 1 tbsp vegan butter
- 1 pound ground tofu or seitan
- 2 chopped onions
- 1 (or more...more is always better) garlic cloves
- ¼ tsp ground cinnamon
- ¼ tsp ground nutmeg
- ½ tsp fine herbs
- 2 tbsp dried parsley
- 1 can tomato sauce (8 oz)
- ½ cup red wine
- 1 flax egg
- Sliced tomato
- For the Bechamel Sauce:
- 4 cups plant milk of choice
- ½ cup vegan butter
- 6 tbsp all-purpose flour
- 1 ½ cups grated vegan parmesan cheese
- ¼ tsp nutmeg
- Ground white pepper
- Place ½ inch thick eggplant slices on paper towels. Sprinkle lightly with salt and let sit for 30 mins to draw out their moisture.
- Heat olive oil over high heat and saute the eggplant until it is brown. Set back onto paper towels.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. In a large skillet (shop our kitchen supply store for the best skillets on the market!) melt your vegan butter over medium heat and add tofu (or seitan), salt, pepper, onions, and garlic. Once your protein is brown, add cinnamon through parsley. Add tomato sauce and wine. Mix well and let simmer for 20 minutes. Once it’s cooled, stir in your flax egg.
For Bechamel Sauce:
- Scald your plant milk of choice in a large pan. In a skillet, melt vegan butter over medium heat. Add flour and whisk (we sell those too!) until very smooth. Decrease your heat and slowly add your hot milk, continue to whisk while it thickens. Add your salt and white pepper to taste.
- Now for the grand finale: grease your fabulous Le Creuset casserole dish and cover the bottom with a layer of your sliced and sauteed eggplant. Cover that with your protein mixture (tofu or seitan). Add ½ cup of vegan Parmesan cheese, then cover that with the rest of your eggplant. Top it of with your vegan Bechamel sauce, a dash of nutmeg, and some fancy tomato slices.
- Bake for 1 hour! Allow it to cool and serve warm.
Check it out, 3 desserts in 1 = all the fun! This delicious dessert contains cookies, Oreos and brownies that won’t limit your sweet tooth options! And I’ll do you one better, it’s literally as simple as 1, 2, 3.
MAKES: 16 servings. PREP TIME: 15 mins. COOK TIME: 45 mins.
- Your fave cookie dough (Pre-made or from scratch)
- 16 Oreos
- Your fave brownie batter (Pre-made or from scratch)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Grease your Le Creuset casserole dish OR an 8x8 pan from our baking equipment section. Press in cookie dough layer, make sure you make an even layer. Place Oreos one by one, right next to each other on top of the cookie dough layer until completely covered. Pour over your brownie batter and spread to make yet another even layer. For a little extra pizazz, sprinkle on some chocolate chips, m&ms, sprinkles, chopped nuts or drizzle on some nut butter, chocolate sauce, and/or fruit compote. The possibilities are endless!
- Bake for 40-45 mins. Test to make sure done by inserting a clean toothpick and making sure it comes out clean.
- Make sure this masterpiece is completely cooled before cutting and serving (mainly so it holds its shape).
Learn More About Our Store:
Intrigued by these recipes? Want to learn more about our casserole dishes and other Canada food equipment? Subscribe to our newsletter for all the details on our kitchen supplies Toronto.